Dennis is an experienced trial lawyer who has been a shareholder in the firm since 1990. He has a varied and broad practice that includes medical malpractice, business, commercial, tort, products liability and employment litigation, primarily representing defendants.
Dennis has successfully represented clients in federal and state courts in medical malpractice, personal injury, psychiatric malpractice and commercial trials.
His clients include individuals, partnerships, local companies and large national corporations. Other areas of his practice include contract litigation, construction litigation and partnership disputes.
- Successfully defended private psychiatrist who has hired by a federal agency to conduct an independent medical records review and determined that the plaintiff was alcohol dependent. In an issue of first impression, the Rhode Island Supreme Court reversed a lower court ruling, and agreed with the psychiatrist that he did not owe a duty of care to the subject of the review and could not be liable to him for alleged negligence in reaching or reporting his conclusions. See Woodruff v. Gitlow, No. 2012-67-M.P, slip op. (R.I. June 2, 2014) available on Westlaw at 2014 WL 2456082 and the Court’s website.
- In the spring of 2011, successfully defended an accountant in a lengthy jury trial in which the plaintiff claimed that he lost his business because of employee embezzlement. The plaintiff secured a pre-interest judgment against a co-defendant bank in the approximate amount of $2,000,000.
- Recently obtained a substantial verdict from a jury for a group of physicians in their lawsuit against a large health insurer.
- Recently secured the dismissal of a case against physicians and a hospital in a matter in which a plaintiff was claiming severe permanent injuries because of negligent discharge from a hospital.
- Recently represented a pilot against the FAA and another pilot in a federal court case arising out of a plane accident at an airport.